Research is consistently proving the cognitive benefits of learning a foreign language.
Which of course we love, because we know linguistics is SO much more than cultural enrichment. That’s hugely important, don’t get us wrong – but the benefits extend far beyond being able to travel easier or sounding really smart at a dinner party.
A recent article from The Atlantic highlights some of the many cognitive perks of multilingualism. It starts off by pointing out that BAM! moment of having access to different words, concepts, and metaphors that the English language cannot equally capture with such precision and succinctness. But it goes on to point out several other “brain boosters” attributed to multilingualism, including:
1. Higher standardized test scores – especially in math, reading, and vocabulary
2. Better memory for lists or sequences
3. Being more perceptive to surroundings and “therefore better at focusing in on important information while weeding out misleading information” – the article cites Sherlock Holmes as the poster child for this brain benefit of multilingualism
4. Avoidance of “cognitive traps” (simple mistakes in spelling or comprehension that our brains make when taking linguistic shortcuts)
5. Better decision making skills
6. Being more self-aware when it comes to spending money
7. Being less easily swayed by the conditioning and framing techniques used in advertisements and political campaign speeches
8. Delaying dementia and Alzheimer’s – Even just learning the basics of a foreign language can help delay dementia!
As more and more research surfaces about ways to improve cognitive functioning, excel academically, have an edge in the workforce, improve linguistics, and thrive socially and culturally in a global society, we are continually pleased with how much of that research gives a major high five to being bilingual.
We are proud to be on the cutting edge of educational trends by offering an academically challenging, competitive, and fun environment in which children can learn foreign languages that are used by millions worldwide.
Do you have any questions about language immersion schools? Perhaps you’re considering language lessons, or a private school for your child and you came across Frontiers Academy. We welcome you and invite you to call us with any questions you may have, or to schedule a tour of our facilities and meet our wonderful faculty and staff! (714) 930-6638
Thanks to one of our wonderful parents, Ms. L, for sending us this great article!